Friday, April 24, 2009

Fruit or Vegetable?

I recently had an argument about Tomatoes...
Is it a fruit or a vegetable??
As I have lived Japan, I've always taught that tomatoes are vegetable.
I think almost all japanese would agree.

However...those who came from English speaking countries (from the states to New Zealand) said it wasn't the case.
They said tomatoes were fruit!!
No way!
Chinese and Korean friends agreed with me.
Yes, tomatoes are vegetable...
But the asian friends put up another argument.
They said water melons are fruit...geez!
Water melons are vegetable, of course. Aen't they?
Nobody except Japanese supported the idea in that room. hmmm...

I looked up them online, and found out that there is no clear difinition between fruits and vegetables.
It really depends on the culture.
It's pretty interesting, isn't it?:P

3 comments:

  1. Hi frogger,
    It'a so interesting things!!!
    I think tomatoes are vegetable, too.
    But there are very seet tomatoes.
    Is it fruit? I think :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a light argument with tomatoes, but never with water melons. I really want to talk about it, interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for commenting on my blog.
    To start this argument, we need to start with clarifying the deffinitions of "fruit" and "vegetable," right?
    Yea, I think we sort them defferently because we use different definitions.
    Somebody told me that the ones that have seeds inside are fruits.
    So that cucumbers are categorized as a fruit.
    But...it's different from what we see it, right?
    It's pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete